Can I sue the city for dangerous road conditions?


Can I sue the city for dangerous road conditions?


An accident victim can seek compensation from the party whose fault caused the accident. If the accident was caused by another driver, then you can claim compensation from that driver. However if dangerous road conditions caused the accident then you can claim compensation from the city. The dangerous road condition need not be the only or the main cause of the accident. You can seek compensation even if the condition of the road played a minor part in causing the accident.

If you are suing the city for compensation you must follow certain procedures. These procedures are determined by state law. If you do not follow these procedures, the courts will throw out your lawsuit for compensation. However in all states you must give a notice of claim to the city. Generally this notice must be given within 60 days of the injury. This period can be less or more depending on your state law. This notice is necessary to inform the city of your claim. The city will either accept or reject your claim. If it accepts your claim, it will offer you a compensation amount.

If you feel the amount is less, you can negotiate with the city. If the city does not offer you an increased amount or if it rejects your claim, you can file a lawsuit against the city. Suing the city for compensation requires skill and experience. Consult with an experienced accidents attorney if you want to sue the city for dangerous road conditions.